From a very early age in the suburbs of Sydney, I became focused on commercial photography as a career.
At the age of 13, I completed my first photographic course at the Sydney School of Graphic Arts.
Upon leaving high school I was fortunate enough to land a job as a junior photographer’s assistant in a busy commercial studio in Sydney inner city.
Four years of Part-time study back at the Sydney School of Graphic Arts, Ultimo, while working with several of Sydney’s top commercial and advertising studio photographers.
- Pat Spillane Photography ( Suffolk, UK. ) 2007 – 19: Portrait specialist
- Pat Spillane Photography ( Sydney, Aust. ) 2001 – 07: Advertising & Commercial
- Photographer – Creative Vision (Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK) 1993 – 2001
I launched Creative Vision in 1993 as a strategic, creative, production provider, offering end-users with imaging solutions for communication and marketing needs, utilising the latest available technology to deliver the highest economically viable service. The majority of the assignments during this period moved away from traditional film and chemical based photography into digital image capture. New media presentations delivered on and off-line, working with advertising agencies and design teams, providing relevant, fresh solutions for their clients. This also involved coordinating the development using new technology and overseeing the workflow through to finished art and/or programming for final delivery. My work regularly included photographic assignments for magazine advertising editorials, brochures, on-line manuals, interactive CD archives, digital video presentations, QTVR projects.
- Old Cannon Brewery Ltd (Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK) 1999- 2000
I launched a successful restaurant – microbrewery – pub with Bed and Breakfast accommodation in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. My role as founder and owner was the initial concept and development of the business plan to securing finance. Design and project management of the required construction and renovations and marketing.
- F64 Photography (Cambridge, UK) 1991 – ’93 F64 photography was part of the design studio wing of a Cambridge based advertising agency Ware Anthony Rust. My role as a freelance photographer working in a Mac-based design studio environment introduced me to the benefits of a digital workflow.
- Peter Hampshire Photography (London, UK) 1990 – ’91 Peter Hampshire photography was the largest specialist car photographic studio in the UK up too it’s closure in 1991 ( due to the economic downturn ). My appointment as a photographer involved primarily as a location car photographer around the UK and Northern Ireland.
- Pat Spillane Photography (North Sydney) 1985 – ’89 Freelance commercial photography, working for a variety of medium to large advertising agencies around the North Sydney area, gaining some experience with the very first Apple Mac computers. Moved to the UK in 1989, to gain photographic experience in London.
- Thru The Lens (St Leonards, NSW) 1983 – ’85 Subsidiary of Adrenalin Marketing Ltd, TTL started as a small photographic studio servicing the needs of the agency. My role as Photographer / Studio Manager involved the day-to-day running of the photographic business, pitching for new clients and the financial administration of the business.
- Photographers Assistant (North Sydney) 1979 – ’82 Assisting Commercial and Advertising photographers in North Sydney, while attending the 4 year part-time Photographic certificate course at Sydney School of Graphic Arts.